The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the “In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by theGerman Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) andaims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand
of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses. In-Region Scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programe in a country of their home region (here:
Sub-Saharan Africa/outside their home country). In-Country Scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) by offering up to 3 In-Country scholarships for PhD studies, up to 5 In-Region scholarships for PhD studies and up to 3 In-Country scholarships for Master studies, up to 7 In-Country scholarships for Master studies at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) for the intake 2021. Scholarships will be awarded subject to the provision of funds and to the conclusion of contract between the host institution and DAAD.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper division)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI programme
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to a maximum of the regular period of study upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development.
The scholarships at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) are available in the following fields:
• PhD in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
• Master of Science in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science
Place of Tenure:
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR)
Duration and Commencement:
• of the PhD programme is generally three years
• of the Master programme is generally two years generally starting in January 2021.
Please note that the maximum duration of the scholarship is based on the time that is left until the scholarship holder has reached the regular period of studies in that programme; i.e., if you apply for a DAAD scholarship starting in your second year of studies of a three-year programme, the maximum duration of the scholarship will be two years.
Application and Selection Procedure:
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
Applicants must apply for their studies at Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) has set its own deadlines.
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD.
The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. DAAD
Deadline: June 2, 2020
Documents to be submitted in English:
• DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
• Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
• Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
• Letter of admission for the host university
• Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
• Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
• Copy of the passport
• if applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
• Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
• Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see
• Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research stay in Germany for 3 up to 6 months. Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application for the regular scholarship and can only be awarded if the necessary financial means are available.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
• a monthly scholarship payment for living costs
• health/accident/personal liability insurance
• a flat-rate travel allowance
All further details regarding additional benefits and the additional application processes will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
Please note that all short-listed applicants will be asked to participate in a multiwave monitoring survey to gather data on different academic and career development aspects. Participation is voluntary.
Contact and advice:
Website of the In-Country/In-Region programme:
For more details, download the attached file.