YOLA, NIGERIA /
PROGRAMS – AFRICA – WEST /
FULL TIME – LOCAL
Media Officer – Yola, Adamawa State
COMITAS Project – Contributing to the Mitigation of conflict over natural resources between farmer and herder communities in Adamawa state, Nigeria
A professional, motivated, and creative Media Officer who will be responsible for the capacity-building, relationship-building, coaching of partner radio stations and co-production of radio programs under the project.
The position holder will support local radio stations in their planning, production, publicity, outreach and broadcast of two weekly radio programs: a weekly live radio talk show and a weekly radio drama, monitor the work and airing of partner radio stations, monitor the airing of spots and jingles and collect feedback from listeners.
S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Media Coordinator and will work closely with the Design, Monitoring and Evaluation team, and other project team members. The position holder will supervise and closely monitor the work of the radio producers based in the partner FM radio station.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the Media Coordinator in managing the COMITAS activities, including programmatic, compliance, personnel, financial, and administrative matters.
- Ensures all activities are conducted in accordance with Search policies and donor rules and regulations
- Nurture positive relationships with partner radio station and producers of these radio station
- Support local radio stations in their planning, production, publicity, outreach and broadcast of two weekly radio programs.
- Develop activity work plans, radio program production and broadcast plans and strategies;
- Lead the curriculum process using Search’s common ground approach to develop the intended outcomes, knowledge, attitude and behavior change objectives for the radio programs, determine the target audience, and key messages of the radio programs;
- Develop and implement the promotion, publicity and outreach plan and strategy to promote and publicize the radio programs and spots/jingles among its target audience;
- Support the Media Coordinator to prepare Terms of Reference and Contracts for the Partner FM stations and the Radio Producers;
- Oversee and ensure the quality of the production of the radio programs;
- Keep track of media logs, monitor the broadcast of the radio programs and provide regular feedback to the partner FM radio stations.
- Listen and report all aired episodes of radio program and provide constructive feedback to the producers and presenters;
- Provide regular coaching and mentoring support to the radio producers and presenters;
- Coordinate with the program teams to integrate program messages into media programming streams;
- Track organization’s news coverage through online and traditional sources;
- Provide support in writing, formatting and editing communications/media/outreach materials;
- Develop relations with media actors and assist in mobilizing media for events where necessary;
- Capture photos and success stories in all Search meetings, trainings and events;
- Provide monitoring data to the DM&E manager and share success stories and impact stories as a result of radio programs;
- Provide media reports and documentation and share progress, challenges, and lessons learned to support the Project Manager to write periodic progress reports;
- Perform any other task as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in radio production, media, journalism, communication, development communications or a related area;
- At least 2 years of experience in producing and coordinating radio programs and radio teams;
- Track record of producing successful radio programs in Nigeria, preferably using radio magazine, discussions, talk shows formats;
- Ability to communicate in local languages will be a big advantage;
- Experience of producing and coordinating health related programs/campaign will be an added advantage;
- Significant experience designing and conducting training courses in journalism and media;
- Experience in media program design, including drama, spots, news & current affairs;
- Track record in delivering effective media/communications/advocacy strategies in support of campaigns and advocacy programs.
- Understand key opportunities in Nigerian media markets and a thorough understanding of requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, TV, radio, and online;
- Familiarity with the terrain and established relationships with radio stations in Adamawa is an added advantage
- A good understanding of target audience, intended outcome programming, behavior change communications, and edutainment approaches;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills.
Note: This position is only open to Nigerian nationals.
This position will close on 15th February, 2021
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal.
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (detailing your suitability for the position, your residential address and your projected start date)
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.