Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Location Abuja, Nigeria
- Sector Non Profit
- Experience Mid Career
Under the supervision of Principal Programme Officer Small Arms, the incumbent shall support the implementation of disarmament programs/activities by providing adequate capacity to Member States in Arms and Ammunition Stockpile Management including Weapons Marking, Tracing, Collection & Destruction. The Officer will also undertake the collection of relevant information/data on the status of arms and ammunition administration and management in the region.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support elaboration of programs and projects related to disarmament based on emerging threats in the region;
- Support coordination of disarmament programs in Member States by carrying out the following activities:
– Providing sustainable capacity building on Physical Security and Stockpile Management (PSSM), including training and equipment support;
– Planning and execution of collection and destruction of Arms and Ammunition exercises in Member States;
– Support the implementation of Weapons Marking & Tracing in Member States;
– Support in building a regional Database/Roster of Experts in PSSM, Marking & Tracing;
– Support implementation of programs/projects on disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR);
- Support Mobilization of Resources for the implementation of the Convention on SALW ;
- Perform any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, Computer Science, or any Social Science or Security related field from a recognized University.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Political Affairs, Governance, Diplomacy, conflict resolution, information management security or related field;
- Understanding of political, governance and security dynamics, conflict prevention management and resolution;
- Technical competence to conduct information gathering, research and analysis with modern technology.
- Ability to understand and apply approaches, techniques and tools that draw on a wide range of inputs and improve the quality and pace of mediation in the coordination of Reginal Political Affairs.
- Experience working in an international organization or at a multi-country level highly desirable;
- Experience in supporting development of regional and national security policies/strategies will be an advantage;
- Strong knowledge of ECOWAS , AU and UN policies, strategies and approached in Small Arms is required;
- Knowledge of relevant instruments of peace and security will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of project management, monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Knowledge of the life-cycle approaches in the management of SALW, practical disarmament measures such as physical security and stockpiling of weapons, arms marking and destruction
- Field experience in weapons management;
- Knowledge of regional, continental and international small arms control obligations and programs on disarmament and non – proliferation;
Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
- ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- identify ,organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com