MEDA is an international economic development organization; whose mission is to create innovative business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of compassionate business professionals, we partner with the economically active poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions of the world. Our expertise includes a full range of economic development tools:
financial services, gender responsive and environmentally sustainable technology, business training, access to market information, better access to markets and equity investment. Our work most often focuses on women, youth and the rural poor and agricultural development. We believe that all people deserve the opportunity to earn a livelihood and that unleashing entrepreneurship is a powerful way to alleviate poverty.
NIGERIA WAY PROJECT SUMMARY:
MEDA’s Youth Entrepreneurship and Women’s Empowerment in Northern Nigeria project (Nigeria WAY)in Bauchi state is a five-year project that aims at assisting poor, economically active women and youth to increase their income, specifically, those who are involved in agro-processing in the rice, soybean, and groundnuts value chains. Using a private sector approach, MEDA Nigeria works with small scale businesses particularly those led by women and youth, to ensure that they are included in the market system, supporting agro-processing with smart incentives. Additionally, the project will work with communities and families to improve the environment where girls grow up and join the market economy. The overall objective of the Nigeria WAY project is to increase the contribution by entrepreneurs and small-scale businesses particularly those owned by women and youth to Nigeria’s Economic Growth.
PURPOSE OF THE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST:
MEDA seek to identify eligible women-owned Small-Scale Businesses (SSBs: businesses that have capital below 10 Million Naira, have paid labour and a business premise) operating in the rice, groundnut and soy value chains in Bauchi State to support MEDA’s program implementation for the advancement of Business Development Training, Consultancy services, financial service opportunities, partnerships,
linkages and alliances that are valuable to their business growth and expansion.
OBJECTIVES OF THE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST:
1. To identify and enrol women owned SSBs engaged in agro-processing or value-addition in MEDA’s selected value chains of Rice, Groundnut and Soya Beans in the 7 LGAs of MEDAs intervention with the aim of supporting them in the future MEDA initiatives.
2. To identify women owned SSBs engaged in the processing in Rice, Groundnut and Soy value chain for training on financial access, Support to link with financial institutions and the implementation of MEDAs financial inclusion and client business planning, execution and expansion plan of MEDA.
3. To support the SSBs with Business Development Services, Growth plan strategies and overall business expansion activities.
4. To promote business alliances and market linkages to value chain actors for these Small-Scale businesses.
5. To support the SSBs on partnerships, formation of the business linkage group and facilitating of an enabling business environment with effective networking for women-led businesses in Bauchi State.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR SSBS:
1. It must be a woman or youth (Males must be 35years and below) owned or women led SmallScale Business (SSB). A Small-Scale Business is defined as businesses that have capital not less than 10 Million Naira, have a business premise; might be part of a house, but demarcated
and that engages labour.
2. The applicant / business enterprise may have a CAC registration.
3. The business enterprise must be willing to enhance environmentally sustainable technologies / practices in their operations.
4. The business enterprise must be located in any of the 7LGAs of MEDA’s intervention: Bauchi, Dass, Toro, Ganjuwa, Warji, Katagum, Jama’are.
5. The business enterprise must have the commitment and a plan for growth and development.
DELIVERABLES AND TASKS:
Submit a 1-page “Expression of Interest” letter to MEDA (with contact address and phone numbers). The Expression of Interest should show your contacts (email, phone and address), a short description of your business showing the value chain and area of interests.
HOW TO APPLY:
All interested SSBs should:
1) Email their letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject: SSB – Expression of Interest to Collaborate to email@example.com by 15th February 2021.
2) Hard copies or clearly hand-written application letters can be submitted at MEDA Nigeria WAY project office, No 5 Zaranda Close, New GRA, Bauchi.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF EOI:
Monday 15th February 2020 is the closing date for the submission of response to the EOI. All applicants will be screened based on set criteria and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For further questions and enquiries about the EOI please send to mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to the project office on 09051530218.