The United Embassy in Nigeria commissioned the development Research and Projects Centre (dRPC), an intermediary social non-profit organization registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission as company limited by guarantee, to implement the Teacher Training Program for Grade 3 Transition from Hausa to English in Kano State – Teacher Development for Transition (TDT).
The TDT project will leverage on the existing learning from US Government investments in English language teacher training in Northern Nigeria to improve the English language competences of 100 SUBEB Grade 3 English Teachers in the area of transition from Hausa to English in 10 government primary schools in 5 rural and 5 urban LGAs in Kano State in 5 cohorts of 20 teachers, in 2 week intensive sessions conducted in a Library setting in the American Space Corner. The project timeline is from January – December 2021 (12 Months).
One of the project key activities is a Learning Visit to Bauchi State with a view to learning about the strategies, resource materials, pedagogy and learning spaces used by the NEI-plus. At the end of the visit the Association of Nigerian Authors Kano State Branch is expected to develop an adapted 2 week intensive curriculum; NEI Plus assessment instruments used by SUBEB in Bauchi State.
The Learning Visit led by the 2 dRPC staff was attended by:
- Mallam Bappah Saleh – Board Secretary of the Kano State Universal Basic Education Board
- Mallam Sadiqa Isa – Deputy Director Quality Assurance, Kano State Universal Basic Education Board
- Mallam Yakubu Muhammad – Deputy Director Teachers Professional Development at Kano State Universal Basic Education Board
- Dr. Maryam Ali Ali – Association of Nigerian Authors Kano Branch
- Mallam Yasir Ibrahim Kalla – Association of Nigerian Authors Kano Branch
- Mallam Al-Mustapha Musa Iliyas – Association of Nigerian Authors Kano Branch
- Dr. Ismail Bala – Association of Nigerian Authors Kano Branch;
- Mallam Tijjani Muhammad Musa – the Secretary of Association of Nigerian Authors Kano Branch
- Mallam Khalid Imam – Association of Nigerian Authors Kano Branch
During the Learning Visit, the team conducted the following activities:
- Visits to NEI Plus Pilot Schools in Bauchi State: on the 24th March 2021, the Learning Visit Participants visited Kobi Primary School, Kofar Fada Primary School and Unguwar Borno Primary School in Bauchi. The team observed the teaching demonstration used by the NEI Plus trained teachers and how the teachers are using the NEI-Plus produced teaching materials. The team interacted with pupils to gauge their understanding of the subjects taught to them.
- Advocacy Visit to the Office of the Honorable Commissioner of Education, Bauchi State: on the 24th March 2021, the Learning Visit participants visited the Honorable Commissioner of Education, Bauchi State. They briefed him about the purpose of the visit. He thanked the team for selecting Bauchi State for the learning visit and briefed them about the NEI Plus approach to improve teaching and learning at the early grade. He further stated some other educational programs being implemented by the State Government.
- Interactive Meeting with NEI Plus Office in Bauchi State: On the 24th March 2021, the Learning Visit Participants interacted with the NEI Plus team headed by the State Team Lead. The State Team Lead informed the Learning Visit participants that the project commenced in 2015 and closing out in March 2021. He briefed the team about the approach used by NEI Plus and resource materials produced by the project to aid teaching and learning in early grade (primary 1, 2 and 3). The NEI Plus team shared copies of the resource materials used in the NEI Plus Pilot Schools.
- Interactive Session with the Education Secretary, Bauchi Local Government, School Support Officers (SSOs) and the NEI-plus Master trainers from various Bauchi State LGAs: On 25th March 2021, the Learning Visit Participants had interaction meeting with Education Secretary, Bauchi Local Government, School Support Officers (SSOs) and the NEI-plus Master trainers from various Bauchi State LGAs on how they are supporting the implementation of the NEI Plus intervention in Bauchi State. They shared their experiences on the lessons learned from the implementation of the project.
- Advocacy Visit to Bauchi State Universal Basic Education Board: On 25th March 2021, the Learning Visit Team met with the Honorable Commissioner I, Alhaji Isiyaku Sulaiman who thanked the team for the visit and stated that their door is always opened for partnership and collaboration aimed at improving teaching and learning in primary schools.
- Courtesy Visit to Dr. Aminu Gamawa, Bauchi State Commissioner of Budget and Economic Planning: On 26th March 2021, the team interacted with Bauchi State Commissioner of Budget and Economic Planning who supervises all donor interventions in the State. Dr. Aminu Gamawa and the team interacted on ways to ensure sustainable financing for education. The Honorable Commissioner informed the team that the State Government has set funds to sustain the NEI Plus intervention in the State.