The President presented the proposed 2023 budget to the National Assembly on the 7th of October 2022. PAS observed it and did a quick analysis of the health budget.
A few points to note:
- The health budget increased by 42.6% in the proposed 2023 budget
- The % of health to total budget size is 5.75% which is higher than 4.76% of 2022 and the highest so far allocated since 2001 but still falls short of the Abuja declaration.
- BHCPF also increased by 6.92%.
- GAVI/Immunization budget increased by 40.9%.
- There is the reintroduction of an FP budget line to scale up the implementation of national FP programs but only about N20 million was allocated.
- The capital budget component has also increased almost parallel to the recurrent health budget component. This signals an intent by the FG.